Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy Toddler Recovery

This blog post is purely informative for parents who have children who will be receiving this procedure or even looking into it.  During my son’s recovery it was extremely hard to find parent and child experiences for me to relate to.  I needed something to help me understand what to expect and look out for.  I hope this post helps out anyone who is searching for information.
My son who is about to turn 3 has alway had a “snore” of some sort ever since I can remember.  When he slept it seemed that his snore interrupted his breathing and he would stop breathing at times for a short moment, then gasp for air and continue snoring.  Little did I know, that it was sleep apnea.  He also was just a heavy breather in every day normal circumstances.  When I really noticed it was when he was concentrating on something like say, watching a movie or coloring.  His mouth would be open and I could hear some sort of blockage through his nose.  During the summer of 2010 during a visit to see family, my aunt who is a nurse noticed it first hand and told me I definitely need to get him seen for his adenoids.  Her grandson had the same problem and received an adenoidectomy and the results were great!  I felt a little bad that I hadn’t had him seen yet but when I read up on it before, it said that many times the adenoids shrink and it no longer stays a problem.
I took my son to see an ear nose and throat doctor and sure enough his adenoids were very swollen, along with his tonsils.  This explained why he went through bouts of chronic ear infections.  The doctors recommendation was to have both the adenoids and tonsils extracted.  They make it seem like such an easy procedure and as easy of a recovery.  Well this obviously varies from child to child and each specific case but what we didn’t know was what a long recovery it would be!
The day we showed up at the surgery center we were not aware of the difficult recovery our son may go through but by the time we left, we knew it may be rough.  Every nurse or doctor who came in contact with our chart would make a statement about the tonsilectomy and then make a face as if to say “ooh that’s going to be a rough recovery!”  I finally said something to the last nurse we saw.  I told her she was probably the 4th nurse to make some sort of comment in regards to the difficult recovery and could she explain this.  She let us know that when the scabs start to come off around day 4 or 5 post op, that it becomes very painful.  She said some adult patients have compared the pain to having coffee grinds in their throat or even glass.  Needless to say, I was terrified.  I made sure I had taken our son out of daycare for a whole week so he could stay home so I was comforted at the fact that he would be with me the whole time.
The surgery lasted only 30 minutes and seemed to go smoothly.  I went back to see him when they came and got me and he was crying and reaching for me very aggressively.  No one warned me that this was very common when a toddler wakes up from anesthesia.  He was so disoriented.  They put him on my lap and in my arms but then he began trying to rip the tape off his foot in which a pulse detector was being held in place.  He was all over the place just crying!  They said they needed to give him his dose of pain meds and began forcing some sort of liquid down his throat.  I knew it was what needed to be done but it was the hardest thing in the world to watch.  About 5 minutes later he calmed down and fell asleep in my arms.  He would wake up about every 15 minutes and cry and become aggressive again, then fall back asleep.  This went on for an hour until we were released.
I have to say the first day was almost as if he didn’t have surgery once we were home.  He laid on the couch snuggled up watching movies, in and out of sleep.  We had to be sure that if he was sleeping, to wake him every 30 minutes for the first 3 hours of being home, just to make sure he was conscious.  After he rested for a couple of hours at home he got up and sucked on a popsicle and drank a lot of ice cold juice.  He willingly took the first dose of medicine which was 3 mil. of Hydrocodone (Lortab) but you could tell it was not pleasant.  We were lucky he didn’t spit it out.  I had to keep telling him to swallow it and finally he did.  I have read that the Lortab stings the throat and most kids refuse to take it. This was the case for our son.  That first dose was the only one he took from the dropper.  The rest of the week, he was administered the pain meds through his juice.  We dropped the medicine in his juice every 4 hours for the first couple of days and it worked like a charm.  We just had to make sure he drank it all almost immediately so that it didn’t sit and he didn’t get it all.
He slept well the first night and I began to think that my son must really be one of the lucky ones.  The next day, as long as he was on his meds which we stayed on top of, he was normal. We woke him up in the night after every 4 hours just to give him his meds. I had to stop him from running and jumping around so much but he seemed like surgery never happened.  We got an all fruit smoothy and just hung out at home all day.  I remember the 2nd night being slightly rougher because he would wake up and his throat would be dry, before the medicine was supposed to be given.  So as long as he had something to wet his throat, he was comfortable, along with his meds every 4 hours.  He ate really well the first 3 days, he had applesauce, smoothies, mashed potatoes, lots of soup, and juice.  We kept him off milk for about 3-4 days.
By day 3 I could tell we were about to turn a corner and things were going to get rough.  I was hoping we could wean him off the meds a little because he hadn’t had a bowel movement in 3-4 days and I knew this was due to the Lortab medication.  So I thought I could wait 6 hours to give him his medicine but he made sure to let me know that he was uncomfortable before that and we didn’t make it to 6 hours. Every time he woke up from a nap or sleep at night, he was extremely uncomfortable.  By day 4 he was fine during the day but any time he was asleep, once he woke up, he was in pain.  We were still giving his pain meds every 4 hours.
I was concerned about his constipation so we made sure to give him some soft pears, and some applesauce.  He finally had a bowel movement on day 5.  By day 5 we were definitely hit with an unexpected rough patch.  He was in a lot of pain and the meds only seemed to last around 3 hours and couldn’t manage his pain the full 4.  In the middle of the night he would ask for ice and he’d suck on some ice to cool his throat.  We got very little sleep and he was up a lot.  At this point I called the nurse to ask if we could give him his pain meds any sooner than every 4 hours but she didn’t advise it.  She told me this would only last a few days and that the scabs were coming off.
I was warned that he would have pretty bad breath at this point when the scabs begin to come off.  I noticed some bad breath but it wasn’t nearly as bad as I heard it would be.  Day 5 and 6 I would say were the worst days.  His pain was high, he cried a lot asking for medicine.  His mouth was almost always attached to a cup of iced juice and he was very irritable.  I would say to keep your child home at least a week with you.  Some might need more time home!  Day 5 and 6 my son didn’t want to eat much.  Everything hurt so we stuck to warm soup, and anything soft he would take.  If your child will only eat one thing for a day or two, just let them, as long as they are eating something.
By day 7 we noticed a big change.  He was happier, sleeping longer and didn’t need his pain meds much or at all.  He was slowly starting to come back to his old self.  The one thing I could tell was that when he swallowed it did seem uncomfortable but he never complained.  I told myself I would keep him off the meds unless he complained of pain but he never did after that 7th day.  Including the weekend we had him home for 7 days.  I wasn’t sure if I was going to let him go back to daycare that 8th day but when we woke up in the morning he was all smiles, and normal seeming and asked me if he could go to daycare.  I took him and stayed on call all day and of course called a couple of times only to find out that he was doing great!  I warned his daycare not to let him get too rambunctious and I packed him a special lunch so he wouldn’t eat anything that irritated his throat.
Well here we are about a month out of surgery and I can honestly say it was the best decision!! He sleeps better, and breathes better!  I can’t even hear him breathing now! Some nights I’ll check on him and walk up really close just to make sure he’s breathing!  It’s made such a difference and I know it’s so much easier for him to breathe.
My advice to all parents is before you go into this procedure, know as much as you can about the recovery.  Know what to expect and be prepared for the rough road you may have.  Don’t be frightened, just be prepared.  We had great doctors and nurses and that was a great beginning to our experience, but my biggest concern was keeping my child be as comfortable as possible.  They need their mommy or daddy during the rough 5-7 days.  Take at least a full week off of work!
My experience is not everyone’s experience so feel free to post yours here and share with others what you think they should look out for! I just wanted this post to be informative and a place where you feel comforted and can relate to someone who is also going through it.  Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!

89 thoughts on “Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy Toddler Recovery

  1. Anonymous says:

    Thanks so much for this post. I was googling info and came across your blog. My son (3 y/o in June) will be undergoing this next month. I am truly very nervous. I know it's best for him. He has the exact same breathing/snoring issues as your son. He also has several nosebleeds a week. I have heard recovery for some is a breeze and for others can be quite terrible. I appreciate you telling about your experience, as I want to be FULLY prepared for anything!


  2. Alison says:

    I'm so glad that this was helpful! If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. It is scary but everything will be ok. It will be a tough week for you both but once it's over, you will realize how completely worth it, it was! Good luck =)


  3. Anonymous says:

    We are on day 6 post surgery and it's been kind of rough, so I was glad to see this post and know it's normal. I hope it starts getting better very soon!


  4. Alison says:

    Yes the days post surgery are kind of like a roller coaster. But you have probably come to the end or close to it by now and I hope everything went well! I'm glad this post provided some comfort for you!


  5. Anonymous says:

    Hi! I am going into day 5 after surgery with my 23 month old. Day 4 I didn't give him any pain meds and thought to myself that he recovered very quickly. He went to bed at a great time and didn't wake up after 2 hours looking for me (something he did before surgery), so I thought his sleeping got better too. Well… he woke up about 3 hours after he went to sleep crying. He is definitely in pain. I gave him his pain medicine and am laying here with him while he sobs himself to sleep. I can't wait until my little monster is back to his happy self.

    PS. His breath is horrendous!


  6. Alison says:

    Oh that just breaks my heart! I'm so sorry he was in so much pain! There is nothing worse than having your child in pain and you as the parent not being able to do a thing about it! Hang in there, it will get better as each day goes by! Thank you for sharing!


  7. Anonymous says:

    Thank you so much for sharing this! My 3 year old son will be having a tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy next month and I am extremely nervous!


  8. Alison says:

    You are very welcome! It is nerve wracking, but the most important part is to just be as prepared as you can and it will be that much easier to handle! Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions if you have any!


  9. Anonymous says:

    We just got home from the hospital, my daughter had this procedure done. We stayed overnight and she seemed fine, but she's definitely in more pain today. I'll be reading your blog daily. I gotta say I currently have a sick feeling in my stomach thinking about the days ahead. Hopefully I'll feel like you when this is all over and it will be worth it!


  10. Alison says:

    I completely understand! Hang in there. The hardest part is just getting through each day and dealing with keeping your little one comfortable! Please read this as much as you need to in order to get through it. And know that it's completely normal to feel so worried you feel sick! We love our babies and this procedure will make their lives so much better and easier! It will all be worth it! Take care!


  11. Anonymous says:

    My son had his tonsils and adenoid out when he was 3 to correct sleep apnea. It was a solid 10 day recovery. What we did not know is that the adenoid can grow back! So, just under a year after the first surgery, my son had to undergo a second adenoidectomy. We are now in the early morning hours of day 5 post-op. Despite being told how much faster, easier, and less painful this procedure would be, we've had a very rough day 3 and 4. I'm hoping day 5 is better.


  12. Alison says:

    WOW! I was completely unaware of this! I had no idea the adenoids can re-grow! I'm so sorry you have to go through it all over again! I hope this is the final time! Poor little guy! Thank you so much for sharing!


  13. Anonymous says:

    Thanks for this, we are on day four of recovery for our 15month old and it's been hard going, we only got released from hospital yesterday as she stopped nursing and wouldn't drink or have anything via her mouth. She has been kept on iv fluids plus morphine, codeine, ibuprofen and paracetamol to see her through. Today was the first day she has eaten some cold fruit purée a d yogurt. Thanks for your experience, it's been alot harder than I expected…


  14. Anonymous says:

    And I think she has self weaned from breastfeeding as breastfed post op and may now have a pain association 😦 this has been really sad for me but I knew it would happen one day, just not yet!


  15. Unknown says:

    Thank you for sharing your experience! My 4 year old is scheduled for the same procedure tomorrow morning. i am doing my homework and reading up on the recovery as much as possible. Some stories that I have read literally make me nauseous. I cant imagine seeing my little man in so much pain. I am dreading it but I know it is whats best for him. Reading everyones experiences on here has helped tremendously on understanding the possible next week or two for me.


  16. Alison says:

    I can't imagine how hard it must have been to have the procedure done on a child who's breastfed. I can completely empathize with how difficult that must be! I hope everything has worked itself out!
    I'm so glad this post has helped you all. I hope my story hasn't scared you, but informed you. And another helpful aspect are all the comments left on here. Hopefully they are encouraging to you all and you know you will get through it and yes, it is the best thing for your child! Hang in there!


  17. Anonymous says:

    My 3 year old son is on his 4th day of havin his surgery for both things if you would see him hes been all smiles since we got out of the hospital they did a really Good job putting numbing med on that area before he woke up from anesthesia then he got a suppository for pain so he wasnt in much pain when we got home but hes been doin so well it looks like if he hasnt had anything done Hope he still feels like this until everything heels


  18. Anonymous says:

    I am now on day 6 with our 21 month old foster son. I really hesitated going through with the procedure before the surgery, but when the doc came out afterwards and told us his adenoids had been blocking 95% of his nasal airway, I was relieved we made the right decision.

    The doc told us we'd probably stay in the hospital a couple of days because he was under 3, which was fine by me. Well, we ended up there for five days. He had some breathing difficulties…his O2 levels hovering in the low 80s/high 70s only at night (they don't don't want the level to go below 90). The weird thing was that he didn't seem to be in much pain. He wouldn't eat or drink the first two days, but he was on IV fluids, so I didn't worry. Day 3 he seemed like his normal self– laughing, eating well–until that night his O2 plummeted again and we had to have 4 breathing treatments over the next 12 hours. They said that sometimes they have problems like this when they're that young. He had them scratching their heads because, like I said, he would be fine during the day. It was crazy to watch his O2 numbers drop when he would fall asleep.

    As much as I know he hated being there, I'm glad we stayed those five days. I felt much more relaxed knowing there was a nurse available at the touch of a button. By the way, our experience was not all that common, so please know I'm not trying to scare anyone…just sharing our experience. I think there were other factors most likely causing the breathing problems, because they took a chest xray and saw some stuff in his lungs. My guess is that was probably the culprit, more so than the surgery, although the doc seemed to think it was combination of the two.

    We are home now and I think he may be at the point where the scabs are close to coming off. He's been a lot more whiny, he isn't drinking as much and is barely eating, but is doing enough not to raise any concerns. I've been making sure he has the motrin and lortab, but like others, I really hate having to give him the lortab. I had asked the doc to prescribe a lidocaine lolipop, but he said that the lortab was best for now since it had a systemic effect. I know the lortab can be hard on their tummies, so I'll be glad when he no longer needs it.

    I went through this same procedure with his 3 year old brother just this past Christmas. I can't even compare the two recoveries. They've been nothing a lot and their related.


  19. Anonymous says:

    Thanks for all the info. My son had the adenoids removed last Tuesday. He is being ok so far, a little irritable. I was wondering if your son could sleep through his nose since the 1st day or he started doing it later on (after 7 day recovery). My son still breaths most night through mouth, he feels congested and had nasal drainage every now an then. Is this normal? He still makes some sort of noise when he sleeps but the sound is different. He sounds like he is just congested for flu or mucus, before he sounded different like if his nose was just completely blocked. Great blog, thanks for sharing such experience!


  20. Alison says:

    My son's breathing changed pretty immediately. He had his tonsils out too and that was the most painful part so I didn't really notice the change until he was recovered, probably 10 days post surgery. But now he's 4 and is snoring so much again! Someone on here left a comment stating that the adenoids can grow back. I haven't done much research on that yet but I'm nervous that this is the case for my son. A 4 year old should not be snoring the way mine is! I would ask about all of your concerns at his check up appt. I am taking my son back in to get some answers!


  21. Anonymous says:

    We are on Day 3 after my son's T&A surgery (he is 2 years, 10 months old) and he is spiking fevers around 102 so I've been alternating Loratab (Vicodin) and Advil every 3 hours on his ENT's advice. That's been working great for pain control too…I'm surprised your ENT didn't tell you to give your son Ibuprofen if the Vicodin was wearing off after 3 hours!


  22. Anonymous says:

    Alison. My daughter had her tonsils and adnoids removed when she was 1. The doc told me they can both grow back! As itype this i am sitting in the hospital with my 2yr old that just had tonsils removed and his adnoids rescrapped bc they grew back. Good luck!


  23. Anonymous says:

    My daughter is scheduled for surgery on Sept 14 to remove both her adenoids and tonsils after her sleep study showed severe sleep apnea nearly 30 events an hour. I had taken her to her pediatrician that wasted time treating her for allergies, and the hospital ER where they did nothing to help finally we got a doctor to take some action after almost six months of this she is finally going to get the surgery and I am super anxious. Im glad I came across this post so that I have a better idea of what to expect.
    I am a student in a medical program and I have to be very selective of how many days off from school I take because three absenses will result in a drop of a letter grade so I needed help determining which days to hand off to my husband. What worries me is I also had a prescheduled school trip to Seattle Washington 10 days after her surgery I am struggling with the possibility she will not be fully recovered before my trip. Any one experience a longer recovery than 10 days? My daugther is 3 and will be 4 in november.


  24. Alison says:

    I think 10 days after surgery she will be feeling much much better. My son was back to his old self by day 7 and I think every day that goes by becomes a bigger improvement in recovery after that first week so I wouldn't worry about it. I'd say the worse days for my son were the few days that the scabs were falling off. Good luck and I'm sure she'll do great.


  25. Anonymous says:

    My son (who is almost 3) had his tonsils and adenoids removed August 6, then 9 days later he bled and had to go back in for emergency surgery to remove a blood clot on his right tonsil bed and they re-cauterized him so that basically reset the clock on his recovery. We are now 11 days post-surgery (3 weeks after the original adenotonsillectomy) and he just started feeling better today and was able to return to daycare. So yes, it was definitely longer than a 10 day recovery for us (and it is for 1-2% of patients who end up back in the OR for bleeding)


  26. Anonymous says:

    Thank you so much for this! I was looking for info because my 4 year old will be having his procedure done tomorrow (9/10/12). I am nervous but it gives me comfort knowing that I'm not the only one that felt like this going into my child's surgery.


  27. Anonymous says:

    We are 6 days post-op after our 4-year old's tonsil and adenoid removal. I tried to prepare myself for a 10-day recovery. Overall he has been a champ! But day 5 and 6 have proven to be the worst so far. Mostly at night. He is unconsolable when he wakes up every couple of hours. We have continued to give him Ibuprofen and Loratab alternating every 3 hrs. What I did not know until today from research is that the Loratab burns. Which explains why he absolutely hates it! He has been great about drinking his fluids and eating soft foods. I am hoping we both get more sleep tonight! Thanks for starting this blog.


  28. hannah c says:

    my 19 month old has this tomorrow morning. best place i found. this is way more informative than any medical site even. ive learned as a parent the more ya know what to expect for these things the better ya are. thank you!!!! he is having a t & a. and tubes put in ears!


  29. Alison says:

    Thank you for the comments everyone! I'm thrilled that this blog has been so informative and helpful! I was in the same boat; scared and curious as to what to expect, with no informative websites to reference! I hope everyone's children are doing great and that the surgery made all the difference!


  30. Anonymous says:

    Thank you for your blog my daughter is on day 6 and has done very well until last night she woke up 3 times crying and this morning. I've looked online but mostly found adult information. This the first thing on children. I'm glad to know that this is normal for around day 6 to start hurting again. Thank you for your information.


  31. TracyandSean says:

    Thanks for this – our 3-year-old is going in for the tonsilectomy/adenoidectomy Feb 14. This has been helpful! Our little guy has had pneumonia and bad asthma episodes in the past and just had pre-op appointment today – we were not aware about the effects that the anesthetic can have on breathing… We have to give the Flovent puffer for 5 days prior to the surgery – it makes us worried, but they will watch him close for 24 hours after surgery until the anesthetic completely wears off.


  32. Anonymous says:

    Hi Alison,
    I've been reading this blog for about a week or so as our 2 year old is having his tonsils and adenoids removed in 2 days. I've made contact with the aneasthetist to enquire about pain relief (our son is super sensitive, sleeps badly and all around a highly sensitive child) Anyway the anesthetist has told us that we are not allowed to give him ibuprofen OR Codeine!
    He says that in cases of sleep apnoea it is dangerous and can cause death in children.
    I'm really nervous as I was counting on the pain relief and I am now very hesitant to go ahead with the procedure fearing 2 weeks of hell.
    Is anybody able to shed light on this?


  33. TracyandSean says:

    Hi all. To comment on Lisa's post, our little guy, 3 years old just had this procedure last Thursday as well as a bronchoscopy (scope of his airway, can be fairly rough apparently). He was in hospital longer than the expected 24 hours afterwards, since he was not taking to fluids and needed oxygen the first night… We were sent home yesterday with morphine and told to buy over-the-counter Tylenol to give in conjunction with the morphine. We were told the same, that apparently hospitals are not recommending codeine or ibuprofen (like Advil) any longer. The morphine dose is actually great because they used a high concentration so we only need to give 1.2cc at a time!
    We can really tell that the 2 products we have work – he gets agitated usually 4-5 hours after the doses and not long after he is wanting to eat and drink again. Hope this helped!


  34. Alison says:

    I'm so sorry I'm getting this comment so late Lisa! I hope everything went well and his pain was relieved by some sort of pain medicine prescribed to him. If you see this again, let me know how it went. My son was prescribed the Lortab and while it did the trick, it also had it's side affects and if your son is sensitive to medicine in general I can see where the anxiety would lie! Take care!


  35. lindsayeileene says:

    My 25 month old son is scheduled to have his tonsils out on Tuesday. He had his adenoids out when he was 13 mos and had no problems with that. My son is a preemie (32 weeker) and as feeding problems so he still drinks his pediasure through a bottle 2-3 times a day (depends on how well he ate). I found out yesterday that he may not be able to have a bottle for the entire healing process from the preop phone call from the hospital. So, I called the doctor and he's out of town until Monday, but his assistant she thinks he can have a bottle. Do you know anything about this?


  36. Alison says:

    I don't know anything about having a bottle. I remember the nurses saying that even a sippy cup could cause some sort of suction pressure and could irritate the tonsils and scabs but my son was fine and so were his tonsils. He was on the sippy cup the whole time drinking something cold. How has he been? Maybe try to switch him to a sippy cup.


  37. Anonymous says:

    I'm scared shitless!!! My daughter is getting this done this morning and I can't be there. She is 3. She had to be put under for some oral surgery and was overdosed on the oxygen or anesthesia. So that's what scares me the most. I just hope and pray she comes thru safe and well.


  38. Anonymous says:

    Wow , my son is almost 6 and having his tonsils and adenoids removed in 2 days. Now I really am confused…lol he is overly sensitive and doesn't do well with drinking things that don't taste or feel good. Has anyone had an experience with a 6 yr old or at these ages it's all the same? Thanks for the blog Alison!


  39. Alison says:

    I hope both your children are hanging in there. I know you're probably in the thick of it right now. It gets much much better and has made such a difference for my son, I'm sure you'll feel it's all worth it! There are probably a lot of pros and cons to doing at the age of 6. They are more aware which can be good and bad, but it's no fun either way. Hang in there!


  40. Crystal Doyle says:

    Thank you for this. We are on day 3 with our 24m old. Hes been pretty difficult. He had probs coming out of anesthesia. And he's REFUSING to drink anything. At. All. I'm to the point of syringing pedialyte into him every hour. I give him 30mL's every hour. Then I'm also giving him Boost for the nutrients. The kinute he puts a cup to his mouth he starts crying and says oooowwwwiiieeeee. I'm watching for signs of dehydration though and he appears ok. Good tears. He's urine has slacked off a bit but that's expected since he's not drinking much. He's having a wet diaper every three hours, so he's ok there. I just wish I could help him drink. They gave us lortab but it was wearing off after 2 1/2 hours. They upped it while we were in the hospital; but when we came home they said we couldn't have such a strong dose. Hes hanging in there though when it comes to pain. If he would just drink!!!! I've mentally prepared for the next couple of days.


  41. Alison says:

    Crystal, I would suggest trying to get him to sip on ice cold anything, apple juice or water. If he can just feel it on his throat I'm sure he'd feel relief. Have you tried a popscicle? Maybe the lure of that will help him start to want to drink something. Definitely do the pedialyte if he's not drinking much still. Our son wouldn't take his mouth off of anything icey. Brought him lots of relief! Hang in there and good luck!


  42. Anonymous says:

    I see that this blog has being going strong for over two years. Wow.
    Well I'm on day 6 with my 4 year old son and it's been bad. My coworker's daughter had her t&a about 3 months ago so fortunately I was well informed on what to expect from her. Her daughter is almost exactly the same age as my son as there is only a couple of days in age difference. What I haven't seen anyone mention is the kid who doesn't drink enough no matter how much you try to force them to drink. My son has had a fever since yesterday off and on. I strongly believe the fever is caused by dehydration as I was warned that if a fever is present 90% of the cause is most likely dehydration. He hasn't eaten well at all as he has always been a picky eater. I'm really losing it at this point because he doesn't like soup, applesauce, mashed potatoes, etc. I made him really soft mac and cheese and he literally ate 4 very tiny spoons. I looked in his mouth with a flashlight to make sure there is no bleeding and I see that the white scab is there with no blood and his breath is horrendous but I don't know what to do to get him out of this bad spot. I thought I would see some improvement at this point. I'm giving him pedialyte and juice and water but obviously it isn't enough. urine is dark yellow and no bowel movement since surgery so I'm pretty positive it's dehydration. I'll continue to be diligent to get him back in good health but I'm glad I came across this so I can share my experience and find out if anyone else is dealing with or has dealt with a fever at this stage. Alison since this is so long after your little ones surgery, any issues since? No grow back? I heard that the adenoids grow back if it's not cut from the root. Not sure if that's the case or not but my husband had to have his surgery twice for that reason. Once it was cut from the root, he hasn't had a grow back since.
    Thanks guys for allowing me to share and thanks Alison for your bloh.


  43. Anonymous says:

    When i was a 4 years old kid i had that operation done. and i can still remember how difficult it was to swallow any thing. They were forcing me to eat ice cream but nothing calmed me down but video game hand held from the good old days. then i was eating ice cream it would hurt a little but kind of ignored it because i was too busy playing video games.

    when my friends and cousins used to come around i would feel better automatically.

    Now the doctor told me that my 3 years old son have to go through that as well.

    So, I am gonna stacking up on some new cool ipad games for him and some of his favorite ice cream and soup. I will probably also use a juicer to feed him other things for those 10 days post surgery.


  44. Tani says:

    Alison, how fantastic of you to share, and stay with this post for over two years now. This is much needed info that moms aren't getting from doctors or hospital staff. We are at the end of day 9 with our inconsolable, 22 month old grandson. Im glad to be here & able to give his folks night off, and I pray that any of you moms out there in this situation have someone near by that can help. Our little guy still has the scabs, I saw when he was screaming at me a little while ago. I am worried about them taking longer to come off because he wont eat or drink hardly anything. He's down from 27 pounds to 19. So tomorrow, appointment or not, I am going to talk to his pediatrician, just to make sure, ya know? Hope I am not being “one of those grandmas”, but 9 days seems like too many.

    Thanks again for this!
    Tani H.


  45. Anonymous says:

    Thank you so much for sharing! My 3year old son (part of a twin) has the same breathing/snoring issues that it has impacted his growth. He was similar weight to his sister when born but now am significantly smaller. We are bringing him to an ENT specialist next week for review and to better understand what our next steps are. Been reading literature online about the procedures and honestly, it all sounds very scary!


  46. Alison says:

    To the anonymous replies, I hope everything is getting easier. Tani, definitely get your grandson into the doctor. 9+ days of pain seems rather long without having had a follow-up. And that weight loss, if that's weight he's lossed in 9 days something should definitely be done. You can never be too careful! I hope you all continue to get the information and comfort here and that your little ones are improving.


  47. Anonymous says:

    Our daughter is Day 4 and is coping well. We were told no ibuprofen as well; we have been giving her Panadol regularly and holding out on the Oxycodeine (prescribed). We have been told to be prepared for days 5-7 so it has been great to read all these blogs and get a bit more prepared for the coming days ahead. Just re eating; we were told 'whatever' she eats is great; so as bad as it sounds we have been giving her custard, which she prefers alot more than ice cream as it is too cold. She is still very nasally and hard to understand so hopefully this will also change in the next month. Thanks for the great reading and insight!


  48. Anonymous says:

    Thank you providing your experience. My 16 month old and 3 1/2 year old are both having their tonsils removed tomorrow. I am afraid we have set ourselves up for a nightmare over the next 2 weeks. But they both have been diagnosed with sleep apnea (the 16 month olds was severe). Hopefully, all will go smoothly. But thanks to all the stories I think that we are as prepared as we can be.


  49. Anonymous says:

    Alison.. thank you so much for posting this.
    My 4 year old had this 10 days ago and days 456 were just horrible.. She ran a 104.5 the first couple days and I had to keep giving her liquids in a spoon.. she refused to drink anything.. I didnt know the recovery was this hard.. Well her T&A were HUGE.. AND she had terrible sleep apnea.
    she still wakes up atleast a couple times at night crying, but I think its because she got used to getting up and being held.. I'm scared to stop the pain meds and really hope she's better in the next couple days..


  50. CR says:

    My daughter is 3 and will need her tonsils shaved and her adnoids removed. Do you know the difference between recovery for a shaving or removal? I am literally shaking reading this because I do not want to see her in pain. I knowmit is best for her but it just seems unreal for her and me!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s